Newcastle
Trending

Newcastle United given Bryan Mbeumo transfer verdict

www.chroniclelive.co.uk
Newcastle United given Bryan Mbeumo transfer verdict after ‘£100m’ demand
Chronicle Live readers
4 – 5 minutes

Newcastle United are among a number of clubs linked with a summer swoop for Brentford winger Bryan Mbeumo. The 25-year-old has impressed in the Premier League again this season and a move could be on the cards this summer.

Some fans in the Chronicle Live comments section believe that he should be the “number one” target for Newcastle as they seek to improve on a landmark silverware-winning season.

Mbeumo has scored 16 goals and assisted 5 times in the league so far – just four less than Alexander Isak, from the wing. He added to his tally with a penalty on Tuesday night but that was not enough to prevent the Magpies from winning the game and continuing their push for a Champions League spot.

Newcastle would like to strengthen the right-wing position, currently occupied by Jacob Murphy, and Mbeumo could be a fine acquisition. The club have not had a marquee signing for some time due to the ongoing battle with Financial Fair Play and PSR.

The last big move was the arrival of Sandro Tonali in the summer of 2023 and reports from January suggested that Brentford would be asking for £75 million for their star man.

Appearing on The Everything is Black and White Podcast, journalist and Brentford fan Daniel Blackham said: “If you ask me as a fan, then I’m saying he’s not going for less than £100m. If you compare him to Ivan Toney’s situation – he only had a year left on his contract and very obviously wanted to go, and he wasn’t afraid about telling everyone about it.

“Bryan Mbeumo hasn’t done that, he’s stayed very loyal, kept putting the effort in and hasn’t given any interviews where he’s saying, ‘yeah, time for me to move on.'”

Some Newcastle fans are all for the signing if the club can make it happen. Reader DM TOONY says: “I really hope we can bring Mbeumo to St. James’ Park this summer, he’s a class act and his best years are in front of him. Mbeumo on the right and Gordon on the left feeding crosses in to Isak would put us at a different level.

“I would also consider selling Murphy to fund part of the transfer, if we can reach the Champions League with that forward line plus another couple of top players, next season could be even better than this one.”

Commenter Royston1 writes: “He would be my number one signing for the summer to be honest. He will be 26, so he will be in his prime. He’s fast, strong, scores, assists, works hard, he’s a proven Premier League player, could cover up front – perfect fit for us on paper! Only downside would be AFCON participation and a bidding war, but he’d probably be my first choice right winger.”

Lordbaghdad agrees about the bidding war: “I would be amazed if he wasn’t the right winger on every top club’s wanted list this summer.”

Add to the comments below to share your thoughts

Read All 7 Comments

Others have reservations, or wouldn’t go all-out for a marquee signing at all. Reader Ipagardner says: “Too expensive. I’m sure there are better wingers abroad for half what Brentford will be asking.”

Petrus writes: “There seems to be some other good young right wingers out there, or we need develop our own. 100m is far too much for him, as is 75m. What has happened to Kuol?”

Whistler2 says: “Right winger and he’s all left footed. We won’t get many crosses from the byline.” Jetx adds: “Sounds to me like he’s being touted to us. Personally I rather buy young and fresh talent. They want too much for a start.”

Have your say! Is it worth the extra money to get a “Premier League proven” player? Or would you prefer the value that shopping abroad can bring? Comment below, and join in on the conversation.

READ NEXT:

Newcastle United given dangerous pride warning – ‘We’re not going to stop’
Newcastle United injury list and expected return dates after Alexander Isak fear
Holidaymakers rush to buy ‘perfect hand luggage’ cabin bag that’s Ryanair-friendly
The North East ‘best staycation’ seaside gem perfect for a weekend away
Newcastle United deliver Alexander Isak and Anthony Gordon injury updates amid fears

Story Saved

You can find this story in  My Bookmarks.Or by navigating to the user icon in the top right.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *